Monday, May 24, 2010

To answer a question about Aikido


Well, I was in a funk, but some very positive people were helpful in snapping me out of it.

To answer the question about what Aikido is, I'll keep it as non-technical as possible (if interested, feel free to ask more). It's basically the kinesiology of self defense. Ok, too vague? heh.  Basically it's a derivitive of Jujitsu (not the Gracie ground fighting UFC stuff, but the original Japanese self defense styles). You can think of it like similar to Judo with the throws and chokes, but add in joint locks and pins. We also do wooden weapons practice which directly translates into the movement we use for hand to hand. There's not really any kicks because we prefer to be centered and balanced at all times. To us, the worst thing you can do is go to the ground (we do it, but it's a last ditch effort). Think of it this way. If you're in a bar fight, you don't want to take an opponent to the ground. You might succeed in succumbing them, but then you have to worry about his friends kicking in your ribs while you're doing it. Better to throw the guy into a table or his friend's legs, and withdrawal yourself from the situation.
So anyway, dancing the other night was good. The band New Kings of Rhythm is really a great live band. Now tonight, I'm going to go train, but am only going to the 1st class as I have to rush home to see the Flyers game. And yes, I have to. Being from Philly, orange is in my blood.
Have a good Monday people. I'm trying to! Need to get some oatmeal in me, and then have some of the leftover grilled organic chicken that I have. Man I love grilled food.

- Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment