Sunday, April 4, 2010

Dealing with Stress? Learn from the Martial Arts

Being an ex-corporate person, I certainly know what stress is. Soo many times a project time table would be halved suddenly, or responsibilities would be piled on just to make management look good for doing more with less. The only more and less you are aware of then, is your blood pressure being more, and your free time and wallet being less.

Well, of course I am done with that world. I have placed myself in a position to make my own timelines, responsibilities and even how much goes into my wallet. Not that there isn't still stress. There always will be and in my opinion SHOULD be.  It is through dealing with the threat or experience of failure that we learn to strive.

But how do we deal with it and not fold, or have an aneurysm?

Well, I'm also a martial artist and I've learned that the same techniques that enable me to be calm while a bokken (wooden sword) is moving swiftly towards opening my skull, are the same ones that I can use when dealing with whatever else comes down the pike.  Oh yeah, I was able to dodge the bokken and perform my counter technique.

Check out this related article and see how breathing, meditation, and objectivity can all help to reduce stress, and in my case, even help with anxiety.

http://www.atheistadam.com/33767/confronting-stress-with-martial-arts/



Until next time, Masa Katsu Agatsu! (True Victory is Self Victory)

- Joseph "AikidoJoe" Varano

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    Martial arts training videos teach self defense by providing various fighting methods and defense techniques. These martial arts training videos are unconventional fighting techniques which give you the maximum advantage in any violent situation where your safety is on the question. Many amazing training videos can be found in cheapsafetyproducts.com.

    ReplyDelete